Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Abigail is sick again!"

Monday afternoon when Abigail woke up from her nap, I noticed she felt warm.  So, I took her temperature and it was 102.8!  Are you kidding me, we are a week away from her surgery and she's sick?  I called the pediatrician's office and of course could not get an appointment until Tuesday morning.  However, Monday night Abigail was playing and acting like she was feeling great!  So, I started feeling like I was over reacting and taking her to the doctor for no reason.  

However, Tuesday morning, Abigail woke up with a 102 temp again!  I guess I didn't over react after all!  Abigail once again began crying as soon as she was put on the scale and cried while they took her temp on her arm!  Then, as soon as we were back in the room waiting for the doctor, Abigail fell asleep in my arms!  I knew Abigail did not feel well because she NEVER lets me hold her until she falls asleep!  When the doctor finally came in and examined Abigail, she couldn't find anything wrong with her!  Due to the fact that Abigail had fever of an unknown origin, that meant she would have to have blood work, a nose swab for the flu, and a urine sample.  So, the nurse came in and put a bag on her to collect some urine.  Abigail was NOT HAPPY!  Then, the another nurse came in and took the nose swab and pricked her finger to get a blood sample.  Abigail had cried so hard, that she fell asleep on me again!  I called James and had him come to the doctor's office because I knew they were going to have to put a catheter in to get some urine.  Abigail was so happy to see her Daddy, she just perked right up!  We waited for over an hour for Abigail to pee!  We tried getting her to drink as much water as possible and turn on the sink in the room, but nothing was working.  So, they had to put a catheter in in order to take a urine sample.  Abigail screamed her guts out, but at least it was quick!  She told the nurses, "all done," when they were finished!  After all that, the doctor just said Abigail probably had some type of virus and her fever shoud break in a day or so!  The doctor said to bring Abigail back on Thurs. if she still had a fever.  Of course as soon as we got home Abigail had a wet diaper that probably weighed 3 pounds, I'm not kidding!  Go figure....
Hopefully Abigail will get over this bug quick because otherwise we will have to post pone her surgery!     

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Awww...I hope she feels better soon. The catheter is awful, isn't it?? Although the frustration of keeping that bag on is awful too. Go figure she'd pee a lake as soon as you get home. Isn't that the way it always goes? Hope she feels better soon!

Mike and Jess Richey said...

It was great seeing you today Ashley! I hope Abigail feels better soon! Please keep us updated.

Emily said...

What an awful dr appointment! Poor Abigail. I hope she gets all better soon. Keep us posted on the surgery!