Friday, February 20, 2009

"Abigail's Surgery!"

Abigail's surgery to close her PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus) was on Wednesday, February 18th!  The surgery was done at Memorial Herman in the medical center.  We had to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 am the morning of the surgery.  Since it was a children's hospital, there was a playroom in the pre-op room with all kinds of toys for Abigail.  Abigail was given a sedative, which the nurse called "happy juice."  The medicine made Abigail so hyper, she was chasing a little boy in circles while tripping over her feet because she could hardly walk due to the medication.  James & I were able to escort Abigail all the way to the operating room where we had to hand our baby girl over to the nurse.  I think handing over your child to a complete stranger has to be the most difficult part of this whole process!  
We were given a phone number to the operating room that we could call at any time to get an update.  The surgeon came out to talk with James & I as soon as he finished the procedure to let us know that everything went well!  The artery was closed with a small coil device.  James & I were away from Abigail for about 4 hours, but thankfully the time went by rather quickly.  As soon as we were able to see Abigail in the recovery room, she was trying to sit up.  Abigail had a leg brace on to keep her right knee from bending and she had to lay down flat for 6 hours following the surgery.  Abigail was so agitated trying to take the nasal canula out of her nose and her iv out of her hand, so she was given a dose of morphine and she was out again!  Abigail was given tylenol with codeine when she woke up again.  She did vomit from the anthesia.  
Abigail slept most of the day due to all the medication she was given and when she would wake up she was agitated.  Around 7 pm Abigail noticed a cookie sitting on the table and she started pointing at the cookie saying "cookie."  She ate a big cookie and lots of dry cherrios and she started to perk up a little bit.  We all tried to sleep as much as possible while you're at the hospital, but how can you really get any sleep when the nurses are coming in every two hours to check your vitals!  
Around 1 am, the nurse woke Abigail up trying to check her pulse on her feet and Abigail was wide awake!  We gave Abigail a popsicle because she wouldn't drink anything and she was ready to go!  So, we were walking the halls in the middle of the night!  At 5am the next morning, the nurse came in to take us downstairs for Abigail's chect x-ray!  Abigail was back to her happy self and playing like nothing happened!  She was walking the halls entertaining all the nurses and played in the playroom for a little bit!  
As soon as Abigail had her chest x-ray, EKG, and echocardiogram and the doctor reviewed the results we were discharged from the hospital.  We were on our way home by 11 am!  We were all so happy to be home and to be able to sleep in our own beds!  Oh, and to actually get some sleep without nurses coming in all hours of the night!  
Thank you all for your prayers and support!!  God is good!!  Here are a few pics from the hospital taken with James's blackberry:  
Abigail playing with some toys!

James holding Abigail as soon as her 6 hours was up after the surgery!

Poor Baby!!

Abigail sleeping in the cage like crib!  I would be scared to death if I was a child and had to sleep in something like this, crazy!!


Emily said...

Oh, that crib is creepy! Poor girl. I'm SO glad that she's okay and that she did so well. I'm glad you guys are all back home and back to normal.

Lacey said...

I am so glad it went well. So sad to see those pictures and know what she went through but glad it was a success. I bet you are so happy to have that day behind you. I am sure she will be back to her old self in no time if she isn't already. :)

Kristyn said...

Oh my goodness!!! That crib is horrid! I'm so glad that everything went well. Glad that you guys are back at home and Abigail is back to her old self.

Preecemom said...

So glad that everything went well!

Mike and Jess Richey said...

Praise God! I am so glad this is behind you all!