Friday, August 24, 2012

Abigail's 5th Birthday Party

Abigail requested a "Bethany Hamilton" party for her birthday.  In case you don't know who Bethany Hamilton is, she is the girl the movie Soul Surfer is about. Bethany is a professional surfer who had her arm bitten off by a shark.  Abigail loves the movie & is obsessed with Bethany Hamilton. Abigail has a barbie that she had James tear the arm off of so she could be like Bethany.  So, I decided we'd do a surfer girl/Luau theme for her party. Again, I ordered some of the decorations off Etsy & got some ideas from Pinterest.  Abigail picked out the plates & napkins. She asked for a surf board pinata and thankfully I was able to order one from Amazon. I kept the food simple & served pretty much the same thing that I served at Jacob's party except I also made peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in the shapes of starfish & octopus. My friend Dawn made Abigail's cake per Abigail's request & it was a cake with a girl surfing.  When my friend Dawn showed up with the cake, I called Abigail over to look at the cake & the first thing out of her mouth was, "but she has two arms, Bethany only has one!" I was so embarrassed, even though it was hilarious.  My friend Dawn said, "well, I can fix that right now."  So, she had Abigail tell her which arm to remove & she removed the arm.  LOL! I had another friend make surf board cookies for party favors & they turned out so good.  She did several different colors & designs all by hand.  Abigail wanted to play outside, so we set up some small swimming pools & a slip & slide for the kids.  My backyard quickly turned into a big mud pit, so the cake & presents were moved outside. We invited family & close friends & the girls from Abigail's class at school.  We had a great turn out & everyone had a great time.  Abigail is blessed to have such wonderful family & friends.

*Side Note:  Having birthday parties for your kiddos a month apart is hard work!  This Mama was worn out & so was Daddy's pocket book!"  LOL!  I'm thankful the parties are over until next year! At least, I have one child who tells me exactly what she wants! LOL!   
























No comments: